The Amharic Bible is available online and in print editions of the Amharic Bible or New Testament.
Amharic is one of the languages of Ethiopia.
For more information, see SIL Ethnologue code amh.
Amharic Bible Online:
- The Unbound Bible can display the Amahric Bible in parallel with English and other languages.
- Amharic Bible from Biblica.com (formerly the International Bible Society)
- Download a Scripture pdf at Bible Gateway.
- Listen to the Amharic New Testament in audio format from Faith Comes By Hearing.
- Free online verse-by-verse commentary for the Amharic Bible.
Amharic Bibles to purchase:
from American Bible Society:
- The American Bible Society sells four editions of the Amharic Bible.
- Amharic Bible - New Translation (vinyl cover)
NOTE: This is usually available even when the pop-up says "not available." Click for more information.
- Amharic Bible (hardcover)
- Amharic Bible (Common Language Bible)
Amharic New Testament:
- Amharic New Testament and Psalms - New Translation (paperback)
- Amharic and English Bilingual New Testament (paperback)
The "JESUS" Film, based on the Gospel of Luke, has been translated into Amharic. To order, visit jesusfilmstore.org. Or order by phone from Campus Crusade at 1-800-432-1997.
The Four Spiritual Laws gospel tract has been translated into Amharic. Download a free pdf or purchase the Print Your Own Gospel Tracts CD from Campus Crusade.
Thru the Bible, the classic five-year radio Bible study with Dr. J. Vernon McGee, is broadcast daily on the internet in Amharic.
History: The first translation of the Bible into Amharic was by Abu Rumi in the early 19th century. In 1962, the New Haile Selassie I Bible was published, and a revised edition issued in 1986. The Bible Society of Ethiopia published a new translation in 1987, with a revised edition in 2005. The common language edition of the Bible was published by the Bible Society of Ethiopia in 1980. A contemporary translation (similar to the English NIV) was published by International Bible Society in 1987.